Tax Relief on Home Care

  Download Free Tax Relief Guide

If you are receiving home care, tax relief of up to 40% may be available to you or your relatives which can substantially reduce the cost of care. 

If the cost is being paid for by more than one person you can divide the tax relief between the contributors.

How to Claim Tax Relief

  • Tax relief can be claimed by the bill payer at their marginal rate of tax (either 20% or 40%)
  • You simply fill out a form called the HK1 ‘Claim for an Allowance for Employing a Carer’. This form is attached to the IT47 ‘Employed person taking care of an Incapacitated Individual’ form which is sent to the inspector of taxes in your local area. The team will support you through the whole process
  • Then you can claim tax relief at the end of the year, or indeed monthly through your pay, so you don’t have to wait until the end of the year
  • If you are not working or paying tax, you can still receive this cash back through other members of your family up to a total of €75,000 at their marginal tax rate.

For example, your husband or wife’s pay, your brother or sister’s pay, your son or daughter’s pay or your son-in-law or daughter-in-law’s pay. You simply put the bill for your care in their name and then they can claim the cash back through their salary. Home Instead will guide you through the whole process so there is no need to worry.

Download Free Tax Relief Guide