This week, Monday, 17th September, Home Instead Senior Care in Longford hosted a complimentary workshop for family carers to support them in taking care of loved ones with Alzheimer’s or dementia.
Over 40 caregivers from the local community attended the workshop and learned practical caregiving techniques to support them in their role of family carer.
Caregiving techniques included:
- Suggested approaches when helping with personal care activities
- Understanding behaviour symptoms, and care approaches to help minimise actions
- Learning how to starting conversations for effective communication
- Recognising ways to prevent behavioural symptoms in the future
- Discovering ways to care for yourself so that you can remain a successful family caregiver
Teresa O’Reilly, Owner of Home Instead Senior Care in Longford and Dementia Care Trainer said: “We are proud to host this workshop for family carers. It’s World Alzheimer’s Month and we have been clients living with Alzheimer’s or dementia so it was important to support family carers in the local community”.
“Caregivers often struggle to understand the full impact of dementia and it’s easy to become overwhelmed. We want to support them to provide the best care they can. We also want to help them meet other family carers and realise they are not in this struggle alone.”
To find out more about further dementia care workshops or to receive dementia care advice please visit www.homeinstead.ie